Health Professional-Investigator (HP-I) Program
Our Health Professional-Investigator Program supports health professionals who are actively involved in patient care to build their health research programs, train the next generation of scientists, and make significant contributions to their field.
This competition is
Week of October 23, 2023
Letter of Intent (LOI) Deadline
November 21, 2023, 4:30 p.m. PT
Full Application Deadline (applicants)
January 22, 2024, 4:30 p.m. PT
Full Application Deadline (host institution)
January 29, 2024, 4:30 p.m. PT
Anticipated Start of Funding
July 01, 2024
$90,000/annum for salary support
- Identifies and develops outstanding BC health researchers who are actively involved in patient care.
- Helps researchers start and develop new programs of research.
- Protects researchers’ time to conduct research, develop an independent research career, attract additional research funding, and train the next generation of researchers.
- New for 2024: A section in the application form will be provided for applicants to describe how they meaningfully and appropriately account for Equity Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in the design of their research programs, in the analysis and interpretation of the findings, in their knowledge translation activities, and in the composition and governance of their research teams.
- New for 2024: Letters of reference are no longer required (letters of collaboration are optional).
Partnered awards are
available for this program!
The HP-I Program has two separate streams which are evaluated independently of one another: a physician stream and an allied health professional stream. Only one stream can be selected per application. Applicants must select the most applicable stream according to the criteria below:
Physician stream applicants must:
- Hold a medical doctorate or equivalent (e.g. MD, DDS, DPM, etc.).
- Be recognized as a physician, dental surgeon or podiatric surgeon by BC Health Regulators.
Allied health professional stream applicants must:
- Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Be a member of a regulated health profession, excluding physicians and surgeons*
* If your regulated health profession is not listed by BC Health Regulators, please contact hpi[at]healthresearchbc.ca to verify eligibility before proceeding with your application.
By the full application deadline, the applicant must:
- Have confirmation from the department head (or equivalent) protecting a minimum of 50% of the applicant’s time for health research activities, or no less than 20 hours per week by the award start date.
By the award start date, the applicant must:
- Be a clinician, health practitioner, and/or health care provider whose role requires clinical decision making.
Note: Health professionals who do not make clinical judgments and/or clinical decisions that directly impact patients and/or patient care (i.e. all time devoted to administration, teaching and/or research) are not eligible.
- Hold a valid license to practice in BC and be a member in good standing of the appropriate regulatory college, or be a board-certified/board-eligible health professional and a member in good standing of the appropriate provincial/national certification body (BC Health Regulators).
- Hold an appointment at a BC host institution that has a memorandum of understanding with Health Research BC (formerly known as MSFHR). The appointment must allow the applicant to:
- Apply for and hold research funding.
- Engage in independent research activities.
- Publish their research results.
How to apply
Applications to our funding competitions are coordinated through Health Research BC's ApplyNet, our online grants management system that allows users to manage their entire award lifecycle, from application submission to post-award monitoring.
Log in to ApplyNet:Applynet
2024 Evaluation CriteriaDownload
2024 Conditions of AwardDownload
The 2024 Health Professional-Investigator and Scholar webinar has now passed. To watch the recording, please click “view” below and enter the passcode. The slides are also available for download.