Clinical Research Ethics Symposium 2022
5 October 2022
Are you involved in clinical research ethics? Join us virtually for the annual BC Clinical Research Ethics Symposium!
Date: Thursday 3rd – Friday 4th November 2022
Location: This is a virtual event that will be hosted via zoom
About the symposium:
The Symposium is an opportunity for Research Ethics Board (REB) members, Chairs, administrators, and the research ethics community at large including researchers and patient partners involved in clinical research to discuss ethical issues around current topics of interest including:
Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence in Clinical Research: Experts will share their ethical guidelines when reviewing research that involves Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning from data.
- Ehsan Karim, PhD, Assistant Professor in Health Data Science, School of Population and Public Health, UBC; Scientist, Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences, St. Paul’s Hospital; Health Research BC Scholar; Associate Member, UBC Statistics
- Anita Ho, PhD, MPH, Clinical Associate Professor, Centre for Applied Ethics, UBC; Associate Professor, UCSF Bioethics; Scientist, Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences; Regional Director of Ethics (Northern California), Providence St. Joseph Health; Elected Fellow, The Hastings Center Integrating ethical considerations when developing AI to promote human centered health care
- Melissa McCradden, PhD, MHSc, John and Melinda Thompson Director of AI in Medicine; Integration Lead – AI in Medicine (AIM) Initiative; Bioethicist, The Hospital for Sick Children; Associate Scientist, Genetics and Genome Biology; Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health
- Moderator: Sarah Flann, CREB Research Ethics Coordinator, UBC
Beyond the Binary in BC: Hear from the principal investigators and project team for Beyond the Binary, a multi-stakeholder, participatory project intended to inform guidance for gender-equitable practice within BC’s women’s health research community.
- Dr. Angela Kaida, Professor and Global Health Epidemiologist in the Faculty of Health Sciences at Simon Fraser University
- Julia Santana Parrilla, Health Researcher with a background in Sociology
- Beverley Pomeroy, Queer Researcher, an Award-Winning Patient Public Engagement Specialist
- Moderator: Nicole Prestley, Manager, Research & Knowledge Translation, Women’s Health Research Institute
Research Ethics from Theory to Practice: Join a group of clinical research coordinators/managers as they share with us the challenges and opportunities when moving from the ethics review process to ethics during the conduct of clinical trials.
- Marie McClelland, RN, CRC, Clinical Research Coordinator, Interior Health
- Tiffany Patterson, MSc, Clinical Trials and Research Coordinator, BC Cancer – Victoria
- Camille Galloway, RN, BScN, Clinical Research Coordinator, Kelowna General Hospital, Interior Health
- Tanya Kadach, Study Coordinator, CCRP, Fraser Health Multiple Sclerosis Clinic
- Moderator: Dorothy Herbert, Research Ethics Board Coordinator, Interior Health
Attendees will join virtually via Zoom. Once registered, participants will receive an access link via email.