Match funding (ongoing)
Health Research BC match funding increases the ability of BC researchers to compete nationally and internationally, grow their programs of research, and attract research dollars from outside BC.
We provide match funding to qualifying BC-based researchers and research teams who are applying to non-BC government-funded research competitions that require applicants to source match funding as a condition of the application.
Health Research BC will accept requests for match funding at any time. Requests must be received at least five weeks prior to the competition’s application deadline. Please note that funding decisions are subject to availability of Health Research BC funds and the applicant’s success in the external grant competition.
Health Research BC’s match funding program is amazing. It is incredible to have the ability to apply for this type of a program. Matching funds are extremely important for securing certain types of funds and cash funds supports the success of projects. — Dr. Karla Williams
To qualify for Health Research BC match funding:
- Applicants must be applying to a non-BC government-funded research competition. The funding opportunity (FO) must have a direct link to human health, and specify in the competition guidelines that securing match funding is a requirement. Furthermore, the FO should include a competitive peer-review process that assesses research quality and impact.
- The BC-based applicant must hold an appointment at a BC institution that holds a memorandum of understanding with Health Research BC.
- The BC-based applicant must be identified as either the nominated principal applicant and/or a (co-) principal applicant in the project’s application.
- Health Research BC funds, as well as the equivalent funds provided by the granting organization must be used in BC. For example, if a researcher is requesting Health Research BC funding of $100,000, then at least $200,000 must be used in BC (minimum $100,000 from the granting organization and the $100,000 from Health Research BC).
How to apply
Applications to our funding competitions are coordinated through Health Research BC’s ApplyNet, our online grants management system that allows users to manage their entire award lifecycle, from application submission to post-award monitoring.
Learn more about Health Research BC ApplyNet, including our quick start guides
For technical help with Health Research BC ApplyNet, please contact our Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Research BC will accept requests for match funding at any time throughout the year. Requests must be received at least five weeks prior to the competition’s application deadline.
- Health Research BC will provide decisions within approximately one month of receiving the match funding request. Incomplete submissions may delay this timeline.
Health Research BC does not conduct a separate peer review process for match funding requests. Instead, requests are assessed internally for alignment with the eligibility requirements noted above. The amount of match funding awarded by Health Research BC is based on the outcome of this internal assessment and the availability of Health Research BC funds.
Match funding from Health Research BC is not guaranteed, and, if awarded, the amount offered may not equal the amount requested. The final decision is subject to availability of Health Research BC funds and the applicant’s success in the external grant competition.