HEALTH RESEARCH BC-MITACS INDUSTRY-BASED PROGRAM
The Michael Smith Health Research BC-Mitacs industry-based program supports graduate students and postdoctoral fellows across British Columbia to gain experience working within BC’s life sciences sector.
Through our partnership with Mitacs, the program offers industry-based placements through Mitacs Accelerate (for master and PhD students) and Elevate (postdoctoral fellows) programs.
The Accelerate and Elevate programs enable trainees to apply their research knowledge and expertise to address complex challenges by contributing to a research project with a life sciences company in need of high-level expertise. Elevate has an additional professional development curriculum that prepares postdoctoral fellows for success as leaders in research and industry.
This competition is
January 24, 2024
Letter of intent (LOI) submission period
(LOIs accepted on a rolling basis)
January 24 - December 1, 2024
Full application deadline
December 20, 2024
Notice of funding decision
February 2024 – March 2025
Anticipated start of funding
March 1, 2024 – March 2025
Accelerate: Up to $90,000 per 24-month term | Elevate: Up to $129,000 per 24-month term
- The academic supervisor and/or trainee will co-develop a research project with a life sciences company to address a complex challenge and/or advance innovation.
- Trainees gain business skills and experience in industry, strengthen their applied research skills, build their CV with peer-reviewed research, broaden their professional network and earn a stipend.
- Academic supervisors build flexible research partnerships and secure funding for trainees.
- Life sciences companies find the right people with applied research and business skills, work with qualified, highly-skilled researchers to address complex challenges and drive innovation, and receive support to host and mentor a trainee.
- Trainees divide their placement time between their academic institutions and companies.
- Mitacs is available to facilitate connections between interested trainees, academic supervisors and life sciences companies.
- Accelerate program for master and PhD students
- Placements are eight to 24 months
- Maximum funding for one placement is $90,000 per 24-month term
- Maximum company investment is $22,500 per 24-month term
- Elevate program for postdoctoral fellows
- Placements are 12-24 months
- Maximum funding for one placement is $129,000 per 24-month term
- Maximum company investment is $30,000 per 24-month term
- For additional information, refer to 2024 Mitacs program details.
Trainees and/or their academic supervisors
- This program is open to current full-time and part-time students in master or PhD programs and postdoctoral fellows. Trainees must be based at a BC university or research institute.
- Applicants must be legally permitted to reside and work in Canada by the funding start date. There are no citizenship requirements for this program.
- Applications from persons with disabilities or members of minority groups underrepresented in the sciences are encouraged.
- Trainees may be required to travel to participate in this opportunity.
- For additional eligibility criteria, refer to 2024 Mitacs program details.
Life sciences companies
- This program is intended to support BC-based small and medium life sciences companies.
- A maximum of two placements will be accepted per company.
- Companies must provide each trainee with a dedicated mentor and provide a description of the training environment.
- Companies are required to provide 25% of the funding amount, along with space and relevant materials required to fulfill the placement.
How to apply
Applying for the Health Research BC-Mitacs Accelerate and Elevate programs is a two-stage process:
Stage 1: Letters of intent are due to Health Research BC between January 24 and December 1, 2024.
Stage 2: Full applications are due to Mitacs by December 20, 2024.
Applications for both stages are reviewed as they are received, and funding decisions are made on a rolling basis.
There are 20 placements available in each of the Accelerate and Elevate programs. The application period may close earlier if all placements are filled before the stated deadlines.
Placements start between March 1, 2024 and March 1, 2025.
Applications are coordinated through Health Research BC's ApplyNet, our online grants management system that allows users to manage their award lifecycle, from application submission to post-award monitoring.
Log in to ApplyNet:Applynet
2024 Mitacs Program DetailsDownload
For questions about the partnered program or application process, please contact:
Marc Saunders, Senior Partnerships Specialist
Michael Smith Health Research BC
For questions about Mitacs funding processes, please contact the Mitacs advisor for your institution.