FAQ – Service request for SPOR-funded entities (SFE)

What service areas do you support?

We provide support that aligns with our expertise, skills, services and additional areas of focus.

Our services include:

  • Capacity development
  • Patient engagement
  • Learning Health Systems
  • Data platform and services

Three areas of focus are integrated across our services:

  • Sex and Gender-Based Analysis
  • Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
  • Indigenous Programming

Who is eligible to submit a service request using this form?

Researchers and organizations holding an active grant under Canada’s Strategy for Patient Oriented Research (SPOR) are eligible. This includes SPOR Networks, SPOR National Entities and SUPPORT Units.

If your entity has multiple research projects, please communicate with the project leads in advance of submitting this form. Staff may complete the service request on behalf of the leads.

How can I submit a service request?

You can submit a service request online. Please complete the form in as much detail as possible. For questions regarding the service request process, please email mtorrejon@healthresearchbc.ca.

Can I submit a service request via email or phone?

No, we will only consider submissions through our online service request form.

When can I submit a service request?

You can submit a service request any time during the year. Requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis.

What happens after I submit a service request?

The SFE specialist will email you for further information or to host a virtual meeting to discuss your request.

Can I submit a request for a letter of support using this form?

No, requests for letters of support should be submitted using our general inquiry form.

When will I receive an update about my request?

The SPOR Specialist will follow up with you within 48 hours.

Is my service request guaranteed to be approved?

Service requests are subject to a review by the BC SUPPORT Unit. Depending on the nature of the request, this could involve discussion with a review panel that includes patient partners. The approval of a service request also depends on the time, capacity, and resources available to fulfil the request.

What happens after the BC SUPPORT Unit has reached its SFE budget cap?

The approval of requests is tied to the funding remaining to support SPOR-funded entities. We can decline service requests once the allocated budget is spent. If the request is denied due to financial limitations, the requester will receive resource information, connections to other SUPPORT Units, and will be placed on a waitlist for the next fiscal year. Alternatively, we may decide to provide services to the requester, depending on resource considerations.

I have already spoken to someone at the BC SUPPORT Unit about my project. What’s next?

Please complete a service request. Include the name of the person you spoke to, and any details of the conversation.

Can SFE located outside of BC submit service requests?

Yes, SFE outside of BC can submit service requests using this form.

Who can I contact if I have questions about service requests?

Please email Maria Torrejon at mtorrejon@healthresearchbc.ca.